The symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) may include:
- Pain and tenderness in the leg
- Pain on extending the foot
- Swelling of the lower leg, ankle and foot
- The skin is red and warm.
- Move around and have regular short walks even on an aircraft.
- don’t smoke
- reduce alcohol intake
- Don’t use sleeping tablets on long flights as these can cause poor sleeping posture and reduce circulation to the legs.
- Drink water.
- Use support stocking if available.
- Aspirin and fish oil can help reduce platelet aggregation (blood stickiness) thus reducing the risk of DVT. Talk to your health care professional about these before
- taking a long flight